Friday, May 6, 2011

Saori Chime, Design Workshops, Lau Niu Weaving

And what exactly do the chime, workshops and lau niu weaving have in common?  San-gatsu - the month of March.

It all started with the completion of Maddy's Saori Wind Chime - a second window - also inspired by the elements of nature and unique to Maddy's connections to those elements.  Each piece was created in the likeness and reflection of my first Saori Wind Chime, but with colours, thoughts and additional inspirations that resonated with Maddy. Thanks to Maddy for this wonderful opportunity and to Stu for taking such great photos.



In the footsteps of the commission, followed the weaving of 4 meters of cloth for Marie's design classes.  I first met Marie on Salt Spring Island last year.  I fell in love with the garments and designs she presented to the Weaver's guild as part of the "Designing Women" series.  And so with great excitement, I left for Marie's classes at Knotty by Nature in Victoria. 

The Saori-kai and design classes were most inspiring and energizing as we all shared our weavings, ideas, and inspirations.  On that weekend, I forgot my camera at home, however Terri has some great photos on her blog of both the Saori-kai and the Saori Design Classes.


 I find the Saori design process to follow hand in hand with Saori weaving.  In all of its creativity, the cloth speaks for itself, and as it gets folded, cut, tucked and sewn, further beauty reveals ... coming together ever so nicely.  My 4 meters of cloth has become a tunic with asymmetrical lines on one side and fringes at the back.  It's nearly finished ... I'll post more pictures soon. Thanks to Terri for this photo.



And from Saori to lau nui weaving, the month ended in Hawaii where I saw this beautiful basket made with a small section of a single coconut leaf. It was a nice traditional ending to a busy weaving month of March!

4 comments:

  1. I love the Wind Chimes - beautiful colours - very inspiring!

    I'm looking forward to seeing the finished tunic too. And the basket reminds me of some weaving I saw in NZ that I haven't posted about yet...

    Happy Weaving,
    Terri

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Terri! Silk yarns created the shimmering rich colours on this wind chime. As for the lau nui weaving basket, it comes from the hands of an amazing skilled weaver who creates wonders out coconut leaves!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the wind chime! Where do you get the frame?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Debra! The frame is an old window salvaged from a home renovation.

    ReplyDelete